Leaders lead, whatever level of the organization they are at
Leadership is not just about the CEO or the top executives of a company. It’s about everyone in the organization, from the front-line employees to the support staff. Leaders at all levels of an organization can have a significant impact on the success of the company.
Tips to Lead at Any Level
Here are some of the ways that leaders at all levels can lead:
- Set a clear vision and direction – What do you want the company to achieve? What are the goals that you’re working towards? Leaders need to be able to articulate this vision to their team members and keep them motivated toward achieving it.
- Create a culture of trust and respect – Easy to say, but requires a commitment to do. Employees need to trust their leaders and believe they are on their side, not adversaries or just “the boss”. Effective leaders earn trust one interaction at a time by consistently modeling the behaviors they want to see from their team.
- Delegate responsibility and empower employees – Leaders don’t micromanage, but delegate and empower – bringing decisions down as far as possible within the organization. This will help to develop team members and expand their perspectives, as well as optimize the use of the leader’s time.
- Be a role model – Effective leaders walk the talk. It’s that simple. As the old saying goes, be the leader you wish you had.
When it comes to hiring, look for people who have the potential to be leaders themselves: self-motivation is essential, good communicators (that includes listening not just talking!), and who are able to understand (not necessarily agree with but understand) the perspectives of others. It’s also vital to look for people who share the company’s vision and values. As obvious as that sounds, it is one of the biggest reasons we get asked to replace a key individual – a lack of alignment with core values. Industry experience or subject matter expertise alone isn’t enough. The internal DNA has to match.
Additional Leadership Skills to Develop at Any Level
Here are some additional tips for successful leadership at any level:
- Be clear about expectations – Make sure that your team knows what is expected of them in terms of their roles and responsibilities.
- Provide regular feedback – Ongoing dialog trumps annual performance reviews every time!
- Be supportive – Leaders have their teams’ backs.
- Celebrate successes – Don’t just move on to the next challenge. Stop for a moment and recognize success.
You can create a positive and productive work environment through good leadership.