Just because it’s a trend doesn’t mean it’s right. Do your own due diligence and make up your own mind.
With the constant presence of influencers in today’s business world, and the well-oiled machine of PR, it’s easy to be swept up in the latest business trends. FOMO is just as real in business as in our personal lives. But just because something is suddenly popular doesn’t mean it’s right for your business. The person or organization pushing an idea may well have an agenda of their own.
Tips Before Following a Trend
Here are some tips for doing your own due diligence before following a trend:
- Research the trend thoroughly – Read articles, watch videos, talk to people who are already following the trend. Think for yourself, ask the nitty-gritty questions, and get opposing perspective as well to test your ideas.
- Be critical of the information you consume – Not everything you read or hear is true. Be sure to evaluate the source of the information and consider potential biases.
- Ask yourself what the originator may have to gain – who are they and why are they pushing this right now? Does it pass the smell test of common sense? Develop that questioning muscle!
- Consider your own business goals – will the trend really help you achieve your goals? How? If you don’t have a clear line of sight, move on.
- Understand and accept the commitment – if you decide to join the party, what is the true cost in time and resources to get a return? Is that really feasible, and is it worth it?
- Trust your gut – If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Don’t be afraid to go against the “popular opinion”.
Some trends are innovative and genuinely helpful, and early adoption can be a huge win. Others are not. By thinking for yourself, you can avoid trend blindness and make more informed decisions about your business.